Friday, 20 July 2018
For visitors coming to betws y coed just for the day then this list of places will help you enjoy your day more.
1) Swallow Falls . A 5 minute car drive up the A5 towards Capel Curig. Park in the lay by and the falls are down some steps to a toll booth . ( A charge is made to see the falls from the viewing area )
2) Head a little further up the A5 and you will come to the Ugly House. There is a small car park . Enjoy some refreshments there, and have a walk around the area.
3) Betws-y-Coed Arboretum ( Caen y Coed ) just down the A5 from The Ugly House. A large picnic area with parking on the upper and lower levels. Very scenic for a picnic. A few ornamental trees to investigate as well.
4) Pont y Pair bridge . The small characteristic bridge over the river Llugwy. Go down on to the large stones and find 3 separate cannons. The largest covers an area of 9.25m x 3.22m, and comprises 53 holes. Close to it lies a second cannon, comprising just 7 holes in a single train measuring 2.7m long. A third cannon, comprising 24 holes, lies in an elevated position a little upstream, and covers an area measuring 3.5m x 1.7m.
5) Zip Fforest. Head onto the A470 towards Llanrwst and you will come to Fforest Zip on the right hand side. The first section features tree nets for fun and games, further up the new track to the top car park is the Fforest Coaster toboggan ride and further above this is the zip wire. Plenty of fun for all to enjoy and refreshments on site.
6) Motor Museum and Railway Museum are found in the centre of the village and also the miniature railway which offers rides on steam or diesel trains.
7) Golf Club. Visitors can enjoy the beautiful 9 hole course situated by the river Conwy.
Open to non members . There is a club house and bar.
8) Shopping. You will be spoilt for choice . Gift Shops, Outdoor clothing shops, pottery, and mini supermarkets Spa and Londis.
9) Bike Hire. Hire yourself a mountain bike for a few hours. Located just behind the post office.
10) Banks and Cash Machines. Since the closure of HSBC there are now cash machines available at the Shell Garage, The Paper Shop, The Fish & Chip shop , and The Post Office for general banking .
More information can be found on our website http://betws-y-coed.net
Thursday, 5 January 2017
Enjoy a week-end away in Hotels Near Betws-y-coed.
- Waterloo Hotel Betws-y-Coed
- Riverside Hotel Betws-y-Coed
- Ty Gwyn Hotel Betws-y-Coed
- Glan Aber Hotel Betws-y-Coed
- The Gwydyr Hotel Betws-y-Coed
- The Royal Oak Hotel Betws-y-Coed
- The Swallow Falls Hotel Betws-y-Coed
- The Meadow Sweet Hotel Llanrwst
- The Princes Arms Hotel Trefriw
- Elens Castle Hotel Dolwyddelan
- Maenan Abbey Hotel Llanrwst
- Plas Maenan Hotel Llanrwst
Monday, 8 February 2016
It is truly a magical place to visit and is an easy walk in places then becoming a bit steeper before reaching the viewing point. Access to it is beside the Fairy Glen Hotel following the path to the side of the hotel. Follow the path through fields for a 15 minute walk. There is an entrance fee to cover maintenance costs.
There are some steep steps to get to the Glen so just be careful in slippery conditions
At present the current location of the river provides a lovely wilderness for tourists to visit either as a fisherman, walker or photographer. If the proposed works were to go ahead then the water diversions would reduce the flow and also limit the activities for tourists.
Stu Worrall Photography)
The natural beauty of the current Glen would affect the picturesqueness of the area.
Here is an artists impression of the proposed design.
RWE Innogy have defended their proposal for the new £12m project saying it would produce 4.5mw of energy to power 3,000 or so houses ( Picture by RWE )
The river is also used by enthusiastic Canooeists and Kayakers but most leave the river further upstream to diembark.
How long have we got before plans are passed?
More than six thousand people put their names to this petition to have it dismissed..
800 letters have been sent to the Snowdonia National Park planning dept and hundreds more letters have been sent to Natural Resources Wales with objections to abstracting water.
We can only wait and see the results.
Thursday, 14 January 2016
Visitors to our village can get details of where to stay, what to do and various other leaflets on a whole range of interests from the Royal Oak Stables Visitor Centre.
The centre is open at Easter until late Autumn providing tourist information to visitors.
It is staffed by the Snowdonia National Park Authority.The office displays the parks around the UK and panoramic views of Snowdon There are video talks and activities for kids and all the family . Well worth a trip there if you are stuck for accommodation at short notice.
You can also view accommodation providers at <a href=“http://ift.tt/1OkSVCT Information for Betws-y-Coed</a>
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1PuhWcF
Tuesday, 12 January 2016
There is a fantastic choice of eateries in our village, and the range of Cuisine is from true Welsh, to Chinese, English and Spanish Tapas.
Most of the Hotels have beautiful restaurants and serve really locally produced meats, cheeses and vegetables.Also with the River Conwy flowing through , fresh caught Salmon and Sea Trout could well be on the menus.
Ever had a meal in an old railway carriage, well you can ,because beside the main line there is a Railway Cafe serving snacks teas and coffees.
The most recent cafe to open is the Garden Centre Cafe which serves up truly mouthwatering home made cakes and sancks. Pop in it iws really worth it and you can also stock up on your garden plants as well..
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1TTg29d